varminthuntinginternational.com Forum Index varminthuntinginternational.com
A hunting site dedicated to Varmint & Predator calling/hunting. Along with tips on shooting, reloading and long-range shooting.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6.5x57mm ammo got here today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    varminthuntinginternational.com Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: 6.5x57mm ammo got here today Reply with quote

Well as i was getting home from class today the Brown truck was here dropping off my 6.5x57mm ammo. Of corse i rushed inside and cracked the safe open, and tried to load one into the chamber, Here is where things get wierd. I went to shut the bolt and it was very hard to close. i get it closed and then open it and eject the shell it had left ring marks on the shoulder of the case. Is it safe to fire this ammo in this gun??????

For windows tips and tricks visit www.brettyoung.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taz458375
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Tango

That's probably the best case scenario. You now know, that it's headspaced on the shoulder!

I'd say it's safe enough, if the rifle is in good condition.

By the way, You chambered, and closed the bolt, on a live round, in the house? I hope you rembered to put your ear protection ON ! LOL

Have you done a chamber, and throat cast of that JAP ?
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i cast the chamber on that baby about 8 months ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH WHAT DID YOU SAY I CAN'T HEAR YOU TAZ!!!!!

Jackal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango,
what make is that 6,5x57 you got?
and what make is the ammo?
JH
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH
The rifle is a Jap type 38. and i ordered some Sellier & Bellot ammo from The Ammo Depot. Great people there. As far as i know S & B is the only company the makes 6.5x57mm ammo anymore.

Jackal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango
Interesting!!!
I didnt know about the Jap type 38's, in fact didnt know the 6,5 x57 got even close to Japan -this being a German cal that was never suppose to be a military round.

I've also got a 6,5x57, mine is a Brno Mod 20 with the double trigger and flat bolt.
We can get S&B and Privi (Spelling???) here in SA. Donno if Norma still sell the ammo and brass?
I used to use 7x57 brass in mine -the 8x57 brass actually works better -the case shoulder on the 8x57 is closer to the 6,5.
JH
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that this was the round they choose when they sporterized this rifle. It is glass bedded to a stock i don't think was for a type 38. I am currently looking for a stock toreplace this one. My father used to use a 257 Roberts case necked to 6.5mm to shoot it.

JH do you reload the 57mm? If you do would you mind sharing some of your data with me? I am having a real hard time comming up with data for it. Taz said i could use the 6.5x55mm swed and be ok seeing as they were so close in size and all.

Jackal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango,
Dont mind at all, will try and help you with data.We use locallly produced (Sonchem) propellant. I will work out the equivalent.
Mine didnt group as it should and I ordered a new barrel about a month ago.
I've got data for 120 /140 & 160gr bullets that used to shoot ok in mine but very good in my Dads and my friends 6,5x57's.
Jackal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango,
Loads for 6,5x57:
120gr Nosler BT 42gr 3031 CCI 200 primer speed +- 2950fps
140gr Hornady 46gr 4350 CCI 200 primer speed +- 2760fps
160gr Hornady RN 43gr 4350 CCI 200 primer speed +- 2400fps

Measure the jump of the bullets first -my 6,5x57 has a 18mm jump and I can load stiifer loads.
Another 6,5x57 with a jump of 0,8mm gave higher speeds with a 10% lower load.
Go down by 10% and work it up -just to be save (If you've got a short jump go down by 15%).
The 3031 will work well on the light bullets (100gr up the 129gr Hornadys) -from 130 and upwards use the 4350.

Good luck -let me know how it goes.

JH
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her out to the range today. She did alright for a short barreled rifle with peep sights. We are looking at about 2-3" groups at 100 yards. I think most of that was me and the trigger it is a really heavy trigger. Not much on peepsights either.

taz458375
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Tango, That'll work

I think you'll be able to do better than that, when you start rolling your own.

Let us know, if your resize die can bump that shoulder back some, so it'll chamber a little easier.

For me anyway, I've always found peep sites, work well for me.

Congrats, you got her running anyway. Good feeling HUH
CPTTango30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is nice to have one more rifle i can take to the range. Not 2 minutes after pulling her out of the case a guy was asking what kind of rifle that was. I said it is an Jap type 38. He got this really funny look on his face. I said it was from WWII, and it was chambered for a german cartridge. Go figure. I showed him the japanes marking on the reciever. He still walked away from me with a weird look on his face.

Makes you feel good when you can stum people at the range. I tell you this if i go rifle hunting for Deer this is going to be my rifle. It is light and quick handeling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    varminthuntinginternational.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: